The popularity of social network sites such as MySpace, Facebook and Second Life intrigues me. I see why people have fun using MySpace and Facebook, they can connect with family and friends, establish new relationships or promote themselves.
Personally I have reservation about setting up a profile with MySpace and Facebook, too much of an invasion into one's privacy and I'd rather socialise with people face-to-face. I prefer just to browse and see what people have posted.
I was introduced to the world of Second Life at the Libraries, Web 2.0 and other internet stuff professional development seminar we hosted in July 2007. Kathryn Greenhill, Reference Librarian at Murdoch University was the caretaker of the Australian Libraries Building on Cybrary City in Second Life. It was great watching her navigate her Avatar around Cybrary City and interacting with other Avatars, especially when displayed on the big screen in the Village Roadshow Theatrette. I got to understand that there are definite protocols in Second Life (i.e. how you interact with other Avatar, purchase clothes, etc.) and how public libraries could use it to engage with youth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment